Jobs- The Kroger Co. - Corp Food Tech Senior Scientist
Corp Food Tech Senior Scientist
The Kroger Co.,1014 Vine Street
Provide technical and scientific leadership for product development and quality support functions to assure safety and quality of Kroger Corporate Brand products. Monitor the quality of Corporate Brand products and ensure Kroger manufacturing plants and outside suppliers develop and commercialize products according to the company’s food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance requirements. Demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety.
Essential Job Functions:
• Lead technical aspects of product development, product approval, and quality improvement processes
• Supervise and coach direct reports in the performance of their duties; complete performance reviews and provide feedback to direct reports
• Partner to select raw material, finished product, and packaging suppliers that best achieve quality and cost requirements
• Work with Corporate Brands to approve procured products and the plants that make Kroger labeled products (KLP)
• Maintain proficiency in all aspects of food labeling to ensure all packaging meets legal requirements
• Monitor quality of procured products, address quality issues and work with recall coordinator to initiate product recalls if necessary
• Work with the Corporate Food Technology (CFT) sensory group to organize panels
• Lead technicians in properly planning and executing cuttings, audits, and lab development trial work
• Prepare and maintain all necessary materials, formulas, and product specification documents
• Analyze customer comments and resolve issues with manufacturing plants and outside suppliers
• Lead the response to customer comment trends and prioritize product quality opportunities
• Partner with Corporate Brands and Retail teams to lead product quality issues to resolution
• Partner with vendors and Corporate Brands to monitor changes in targets
• Travel to plants, vendors, and industry locations for execution of essential job duties
• Follow established programs, policies and practices to produce safe, quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements
• Support the development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the SQF 2000 Systems
• Accountable to the Kroger Manufacturing Food Safety and Quality Principles
• Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation
Some of the Leadership Behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
• Puts the Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
• Communicates effectively and candidly - Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
• Achieves results through teamwork - Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
• Leads through positive influence - Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work and personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
• Coaches and develops others - Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
• Leads change and innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
• Executes with excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
• Provides clear and strategic direction - Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace.
• Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
Minimum Position Qualifications/Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in food science technology, dairy or bakery science, food microbiology or a bachelor’s degree with adequate industry experience
• 5 years of experience in product development
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Strong attention to detail, with a high degree of accuracy and precision
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Proven excellence in problem solving and cross-functional project planning/execution
• Ability to support successful new or innovative product launches in a rapidly changing environment
• Strong knowledge of key regulations associated with product development and quality assurance
Desired Previous Job Experience:
• 6 years of experience in quality assurance or product development
• Plant experience in quality assurance, technical service and/or production
• Advanced knowledge in a specialized area such as food microbiology, refrigerated foods, USDA regulations, specialty ingredients, or supplement regulations
How to Apply:
Listing Submitted By:Stacey Poppe
to return to the job listing directory.